Monday, December 5, 2011

Larry Bread

You may be asking a few things, if you happen to be reading this post, at this moment... "Who is Larry?"  "What in the world is 'Larry Bread?'  Um... I don't get it.
Well... Let me introduce you to Larry:

Larry the Sourdough
Larry is the name of my sourdough starter.  He lives in the walk-in fridge at His Hill, and as long as I keep him fed, he is happy.  A few weeks ago he started to separate... he had been neglected for too long... anxiety was setting in.  I used him in the nick of time, fed and stirred him, and he is good as new!
One of the students put this sign on the door of the fridge.  Many people are very confused by the sign, but it makes me laugh.


I've always wanted to do a sour dough starter so this fall I finally did it... Larry lives in the fridge and I have used him about once a week for the past month and a half.  The bread is so good, and has a great crust (which makes the Germans happy!).  I have passed on part of the starter to a few other staff families, so he is now being fruitful and multiplying, making more Larry Bread.  That's what we call it now.  The students come in the kitchen and smell it, and they ask if that is Larry they smell baking? 


See Larry in the background... I used him, fed him, and left him on the counter all day to sour some more before going back to his home on the walk-in shelf

mmm the finished loaves!  I baked them in a different oven today which I wasn't very happy about... not very even baking and they kindof burned on the bottom before they were fully baked.  But that's ok they will still taste good!

Thank you, Larry. Once again you have come through for us and the students thank you.

This recipe is from my favorite bread book, Ultimate Bread

PAIN DE CAMPAGNE
French Country-style bread with a Sourdough Starter

Starter:
2 t yeast
1 1/4 C water
1 3/4 C white flour

Sprinkle the yeast into the water in a large jar. Leave for 5 minutes; stir to dissolve. Stir in the flour using a wooden spoon. Cover the jar with a dish towel and let ferment at room temp for at least 2 days or, at most, 3 days. Stir the mixture twice a day; it will be bubbly and pleasantly sour smelling.

Dough:
1 t yeast
3/4 C water
1 C starter
1/3 C rye flour (or I have used whole wheat)
2 1/4 C white flour
1 1/2 t salt

Sprinkle the yeast into the water in a small bowl. Leave for 5 minutes; stir to dissolve. Mix the flours and the salt together and make a well in the center.
Measure 1 C starter. Add it to the flour well and pour in the dissolved yeast. Save the remaining starter
Mix all the ingredients together to form a stiff, sticky dough. Add more water, 1 T at a time if it is too dry.
Knead til smooth and elastic.
Let rise til doubled; (2 hours); punch down and let rest 10 minutes.
Shape into a round loaf. Place on floured baking sheet. Cover with a dish towel and let proof til doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
Dust loaf with flour. Slash the top. Bake at 425 degrees 1 hour til golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped underneath.

My notes:  mine never take that long to rise; I have also made it with all white flour, or even almost half wheat and half white.  Also, in my ovens 425 for an hour is too hot and too long... maybe more like 375 for 50 minutes.  But ovens are different so it may be the problem of my ovens being too hot.

Replenish the starter
Place the remaining starter in the jar and replenish it with an equal amount of flour and water. If you remove 1 cup starter, add 1/2 cup water and almost 1 cup flour to the jar. Leave it sitting at room temp all day, stirring now and then. Put it in the fridge to store it.
Use a non-metalic jar.  Glass or plastic will work.

Well maybe someone will enjoy this recipe. I've sure loved making it.  The crust is the best part of this bread.




... and speaking of bread, I went to a Middle Eastern restaurant yesterday and LOOK at the bread they served!! Not just any old pita bread but SYRIAN bread just like home!  It was SO good and very hot and just from the oven when it was served. Oh. Man. So good. 




3 comments:

  1. That loaf is really incredible. It really really is. I'm hungry right now! love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!! We just started a family tradition at Thanksgiving with Olga's Starter, which I'm now taking care of. It's not quite ready to bake with, but almost!! Travis (Tim's brother) taught me all about it, and will be doing a guest post on my blog this week all about Sourdough!! Twins to you!!

    I still remember the Syrian bread you made for dinner at our house one time... I can almost taste it... so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks amazing! I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete