Saturday, July 3, 2010

Canning Day!

I just laugh at the small-scale operation I've got going on here, compared with what Mom would do with peaches when we were younger, but here you go- I canned a batch of Fredericksburg peaches today, (and one small jar of cherries) which were donated by an orchard owner.  He has 300 peach trees which he doesn't spray with nasty stuff, and he donates all his produce away!  Doesn't sell any of it!  So I took some home over the weekend and did a batch this afternoon (after going to the 4th of July parade in Comfort this morning).  So, Happy 4th of July, everyone!  What is more American than canning your own peaches?  Maybe peach ice cream?  Planning to do that tomorrow...  

one of the 7 bags of peaches that he brought...  yummm!!

filling up the canning pot (thanks, Arlene!)

here we go!

I decided to do the "hot pack" method because I read about it here

ready to boil!

into the pot for 20 minutes

viola!  can't wait to eat them...

And while I'm showing pictures... here are a few from the newly fertilized- and rained-on garden:

a canteloupe!!

pepper is turning yellow

can you find the 2 koosas?

We have a couple of ears of corn starting in the ghetto garden, too, but I haven't been over there with my camera.  Maybe I will do it soon.
Happy Independence Day, America!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sheila,
    Those look great! I can't wait for August to get here so we can put up some peaches. It's great to open up a jar in the middle of winter-it's worth all the hard work!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Sheila. Your jars look much bigger in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your garden. I planted one this summer (what summer) and we haven't had enough sun for it to do anything!! So sad!!
    Canned peaches are my favorite "canned" thing!! So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your first "canning" was without your mom! You are brave! They look delicious, although I don't know how you resisted the temptation of eating them all raw! ...we just finished off our last jar the day before vacation-the first time Ive ever canned enough to last all year. So worth it. Jan

    ReplyDelete